American Family Insurance Health EDI Website & Claims Information
This page provides EDI connectivity information to health care providers who provide services for American Family Insurance health policyholders. Please note: EDI connectivity is not available for casualty claims.
What Are EDI Claims?
Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) is the electronic transmission of information between computer systems and applications. This allows healthcare institutions, providers and patients a more secure and efficient way to process healthcare claims. An EDI claim is a claim submitted electronically that meets HIPAA requirements for security.
Medicare Supplement Claims
- Identify Medicare Supplement policies by viewing a patient's health insurance card (or a copy of it). If there is an "S" in the policy number, it is a Medicare Supplement policy.
- File the claim with Medicare, which will forward it to be processed under the Medicare Supplement policy as a crossover claim for Medicare Parts A and B.
- For questions regarding Medicare Supplement claims:
Phone: 1-888-755-3064 (customer service)
Fax: 1-402-496-8199 (claims)
- For questions regarding Medicare electronic billing transactions, visit the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services website.
- For Medicare questions, visit the Medicare website.
What Is an EDI Number on an Insurance Card?
An EDI number is also known as the Payer ID on an insurance card. This number is the unique identification assigned to the policyholder that they can use to submit healthcare claims electronically.
Individual Health Claims – Minnesota Only
A. Is there a logo on the front side of the patient's health insurance card?
If this network repricing plan logo is present on the front side of the patient's health insurance card, the clearinghouse is Emdeon:
B. No logo on the front side of the insurance card?
If the above displayed logo is not present there are several methods for submitting claims, depending on the EDI connectivity available to you or your clearinghouse:
1. HDM (can be used only if the provider uses HDM's Qwik File Product)
C. Need further assistance?
If you need further assistance, please call 1-888-755-3064.